FUTURE iPhones could have a scratch resistant diamond-like screen coating.
This is just one of the many Apple rumours and speculations surrounding the upcoming iPhone 12 announcement.
However, experts think the iPhone 12 will more likely feature Corning’s Gorilla Glass Victus, as seen on the Samsung Galaxy Note 20.
This is said to withstand drops of up to two metres onto hard services.
Victus glass is not completely scratch proof though and that’s why Apple is reportedly looking into a diamond coating for its future iPhone screens.
According to Phone Arena: “Apple may use diamond-like carbon coatings (DLC) on top of Gorilla Glass in the future.”
The publication also reported that at least three major companies have created a way to coat Gorilla Glass with a diamond-like substance.
The extra cost is thought to be minimal.
It could be great news for Apple fans as cracked screens are one of the most common forms of damage.
They can be pricey to fix and sometimes cost hundreds depending on what iPhone model you have.
This scratch proof screen tech might not have come in time for the iPhone 12 though.
The next iPhone is expected to be unveiled as early as next week.
What is 5G?
Here’s what you need to know…
- The term 5G stands for 5th-generation, and is simply the next “version” of mobile phone networks.
- The world’s network operators have settled on a new method of delivering mobile internet to your phone, making it possible to offer far higher download speeds.
- Early figures suggest you’ll be able to download 4K movies in a matter of seconds, and buffering video will be a thing of the past.
- But 5G also promises low “latency” – the physical delay in transmitting data – which is a major boon for gamers, who desperately need their online actions to be sent and received as quickly as possible.
- EE is first across the line in the UK, with 5G live in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham or Manchester.
- The good news is that EE plans to roll out 5G in a further 10 cities by the end of 2019: Glasgow, Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds, Hull, Sheffield, Nottingham, Leicester, Coventry and Bristol.
- Vodafone has also switched on 5G in seven cities: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, and London.
In other news, the latest iPhone update adds a new “warning dot” that alerts you whenever your microphone or camera is activated.
Rumours suggest Apple is days away from unveiling the latest iPhone, with an event scheduled for October 13.
And, a new update will give Apple users 117 new emoji on their iPhones.
Are you excited for the new iPhone release? Let us know in the comments…
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Read More: Future iPhone could be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to scratch thanks to ‘diamond coated’